STR 581 Week 2 Capstone Final Examination Part 1 -
1. Because practical considerations make job tryouts for all candidates infeasible, it is necessary to __________ the relative level of job performance for each candidate on the basis of available information.
2. Some studies indicate the best approach for transformational change may have the chief executive officer create an atmosphere for change
- but let others decide how to initiate change
- and begin establishing a vision
- but carefully set limits for the program
- and establish a reward system
3. Which of the following is a desirable strategy for managers aiming to reduce the negative consequences of rumors?
- Initiating disciplinary action against the employee who started the rumor
- Encouraging employees to communicate their concerns and suggestions
- Creating a more informal communication environment at the workplace
- Refusing to comment on issues that appear to be controversial and unfair
4. A project can be segmented into which of the following?
- Work packages
- Success markers
5. Which of the following is an element that addresses elimination of waste under lean production?
- Group plant loading technology
- Minimized run times
- Production ahead of demand
- Kanban production control system
6. The Civil Rights Act of 1991 offered what for victims of unintentional discrimination?
- race norming
- adverse impact
- affirmative action
- monetary damages and jury trials
7. Active listening requires:
- summarizing all areas of the performance-interview feedback discussion.
- verbal communications only
- summarizing only the areas of agreement
- interruptions to get your point across
8. Which of the following is ISO 14000 primarily concerned with?
- Time management
- Quality management
- Environmental management
- Continuous improvement management
9. Training that results in ______ is costly because of the cost of training (which proved to be useless) and the cost of hampered performance.
- negative transfer of training
- applicability of training
- reinforcement of training
- simulation of training
10. As a university student, your institution’s social principles and practices reflect on you, as a stakeholder, in the organization. Therefore, it is your right to question how these practices should be evaluated in relation to the social issues that the school is addressing. If your university provides job-share programs, builds a day-care facility, and only uses recycled paper, it could be said to be ________.
- fulfilling its social obligation
- socially image conscious
- socially responsive
- socially aware
11. According to the job characteristics model, autonomy is defined as the degree to which
- a job requires completion of a whole and identifiable piece of work
- a job has an impact on the lives or work of other people
- a job generates direct and clear information about performance
- a job provides the worker freedom, independence, and discretion
12. Which of the following is considered a major process flow structure?
- Lean Manufacturing
- Lead Time
13. An example of control criteria that can be used in any situation is ________.
- employee satisfaction
- average time to process paperwork
- client requests completed per hour
- number of calls taken per day
14. What can affirmative action assist organizations in achieving that diversity initiatives cannot?
- Maximizing creativity
- Maximizing workforce commitment
- Correcting specific problems of the past
- Increased productivity
15. Adoration of a charismatic leader by followers can lead to
- greater understanding of the company mission
- difficulty in developing a successor
- a competitive work environment
- limiting suggestions of fixes and improvements
16. Which of the following is considered an organizational blueprint, which prescribes the quantity and time frame for when each end product will be assembled?
- WBS (Work Breakdown Structure)
- MRP (Material Requirements Plan)
- ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning)
- MPS (Master Production Schedule)
17. In performing a SWOT analysis, which of the following would be considered as a threat?
- Lack of a strategic plan
- Recognized brand
- Increased product demand
18. When an employee volunteers to run a canned food drive, this is an example of
- employee happiness
- employee productivity
- organizational citizenship behavior
- job satisfaction
19. Conflicts can be resolved by withdrawing from them or suppressing them. This conflict-management technique is known as ________.
20. Sam Meyers manages a telemarketing call center. He has 20 employees working for him who are displeased with the way he yells and threatens to terminate them for what they see as small issues. Which kind of power is Sam using to get the job done?
- Reward power
- Referent power
- Coercive power
- Legitimate power
21. In _____, workers have been fired for refusing to quit smoking, for living with someone without being married, drinking a competitor’s product, motorcycling, and other legal activities outside of work.
- invasion of privacy
- lifestyle discrimination
- constructive discharge
22. Mary arrives at her new job. Before she can begin actually doing the work, she must complete a series of activities including role playing and virtual reality interactions. What type of training method does Mary’s new employer use?
- Information presentation
- On-the-job training
- Organizational development
23. Which of the following is one of Dr. Eli Goldratt's rules of production scheduling for optimized production technology?
- Utilization and activation of a resource are not the same.
- If you lose an hour at a bottleneck it is better than making scrap.
- An hour saved at a bottleneck operation does not increase the process flow.
- Do not allow bottlenecks to govern the flow of the line.
24. Deming’s PDCA (plan, do, check, and act) cycle underlies what inherent Six Sigma principle?
- Standard deviation
- Project management
- Control charting
- Continuous improvement
25.________ refers to an individual’s belief that he or she is capable of performing a task.
- Emotional contagion
- Affect intensity
26.____________ is the biggest hurdle to overcome in a pay-for-performance plan.
- Merit-pay increases
- Salary cap performance level
- Compensation equation
27. In order to make their firm a learning organization, managers should
- avoid the use of cross-functional teams
- penalize mistakes
- reinforce interdependence and reduce boundaries
- increase the degree of departmentalization
28. During the implementation of a project, which of the following should be the primary focus of a consulting firm?
- People management skills
- Application of the learning curve theory
- The correct project software
- Tools and materials availability
29. The concept that some leadership attributes will work in some situations but not in others can be described by the
- leadership effectiveness theory
- behavioral theory
- contingency theory
- tactical theory
30. Which of the following statements is true with regard to the effectiveness of tactics?
- All tactics are equally effective with regard to upward influence.
- Individuals from collectivist cultures are typically more likely to use soft tactics that reflect personal power.
- Soft tactics are less effective than hard tactics when used individually
- The combination of a soft tactic with reasonable persuasion is more effective than a combination of two hard tactics.