MGT 312 Week 5 Knowledge Check -
What organizational structure is a firm most likely to adopt when it has a large pool of experts in specific job roles?
- A rigid structure
- A centralized structure
- A supervised structure
- A flexible structure
Identify a situation in which an organization is most likely to adopt a structure that allows its employees freedom in decision making.
- When the employees are dispensable to an organization
- When the employees are young and are yet to gain experience
- When the organization's relationship with its employees is lengthy and agreeable
- When the organization has a short-lived relationship with its Employees
Lila is a neurosurgeon at the Haletrust hospital. She makes all her own decisions, without having to consult her superiors. This is because she is an expert in her field and is an employee the hospital cannot afford to lose. In addition, the hospital knows that Lila needs her autonomy and independence in decision making. In this context, what organizational structure would suit Lila best?
- A flexible structure
- A fixed structure
- A controlled structure
- A formal structure
Identify an advantage of implementing a single functional structure in an organization.
- It makes it easier to supervise employee performance and reward good performance.
- It makes it easier to control activities when the organization diversifies its product lines and markets.
- It makes it easier to cater to the demands of a wide range of international customers.
- It makes it easier to service the requirements of different types of customer groups.
What is the organizational structure exclusively based on the locational differences of an organization's operations known as?
- Product structure
- Geographic structure
- Market structure
- Customer structure
Mechalium Inc. is a company that is structured according to the locations of its units: in the eastern, central, and western regions of Cetria. Zoemetra Corp., a competitor in terms of its size, product lines, and markets is structured according to the goods and services it offers. It has one branch, located in the northern region of Cetria. From the following statements, identify a statement that holds true in this case.
- Mechalium has a geographic structure, while Zoemetra has a product structure.
- Both companies are structured geographically.
- Mechalium has a product structure, while Zoemetra has a geographic structure.
- Both companies are structured according to product.
Identify an organizational structure that leads to an organization's culture being high on originality and adaptability.
- Tall structure
- Organic structure
- Mechanistic structure
- Centralized structure
Javier works at an advertising agency where employees are encouraged to be innovative and free. The company's employees mostly work in parallel teams that are equally involved in decision making. On the contrary, Anna works at an investment bank where all decisions are officially made, following rigid norms of the organization's hierarchy. The only form of communication between all employees is formal and through official channels. In this context, which statement among the following is true?
- Anna works in an organization that has a decentralized structure.
- Anna works in an organization that reinforces the cultural norms of individuality and personal authority.
- Javier works in an organization that is highly centralized.
- Javier works in an organization that encourages an informal organizational culture.
What statement accurately brings out the relationship between an organization's structure and its culture?
- An organization with a centralized structure creates cultural values that promote employees' uniqueness and insightfulness.
- An organization with a decentralized structure creates cultural values that promote employees' conformity.
- An organization with a centralized structure creates cultural values that reinforce employees' compliance and deference.
- An organization with a decentralized structure creates cultural values that weaken employees' personal authority.